History of Denholm
The municipality of Denholm is located to the southeast of the territory of the MRC of La Vallée-de-la-Gatineau.
The origin of the development of Denholm, between 1851 and 1861, can be associated with the presence of asbestos, serpentine and calcite mines. Paugan Road leads to the Hydroelectric Generating Station dam, which was built between 1926 and 1928. The municipality of Denholm has more than 50 lakes and its western side runs along the Gatineau River for a distance of approximately 15 km. The municipality is sensitive to the quality of its lakes, streams and rivers. It is a haven of peace, hunting paradise and fishing, ideal for winter and summer hikes. Perfect for lovers of nature.
Denholm is located 40 km north of the City of Gatineau. Its western boundary is in Algonquin territory between Tenagaten (the river that goes all the time and goes far, now the Gatineau River) and to the east by the Wabozsipi (wabox means hare and sipi river, now known as of the river La Lièvre). On the left slope of the St. Lawrence basin, about 70 km south-southeast of Maniwaki. Regional County Municipality of La Vallée-de-la-Gatineau. Outaouais tourist region (Pontiac-et-Gatineau Valley subregion).
1869 - Proclamation of the Canton of Denholm.
1924 - (27 February) Constitution of the municipality of the canton of Denholm.
1990 - Population of Denholm is 368 inhabitants.
2000 - Population of Denholm is 560 inhabitants.
2003 - (October 11) The municipality of Denholm abandons its status as a township municipality.
2005 - Population of Denholm is 548 inhabitants.
2007 - (June 15) Commonwealth Plywood announces that on July 30, it will suspend its plant operations and employees will be laid off indefinitely in Belleterre, Denholm, Labelle, Lachute, La Tuque, Low, Mont-Laurier, Princeville, Rapides-des-Joachims, Quebec, Sainte-Thérèse, Saint-Hyacinthe, Shawinigan and Tee Lake.
2010 - Fire at Denholm City Hall. No injuries, important archives and documents were recovered.
2013 - Reconstruction of the municipal office.
The municipality, formerly a township, borrows its name from a village in Scotland, northeast of Hawick in Roxburgh County. The first part of the name means "den", "dene" or "dean" (narrow wooded valley) and the second part, "holm" (plain river):
Demonym : Denholmien / Denholmienne
Size : 191,65 km2